Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Hillary Clinton's Demographic

The Saturday Night Live skit this past weekend seemed so true it almost wasn't funny.



In it, Amy Poehler gave three reasons why Hillary should be the Democratic nominee:

1. I am a sore loser.
2. My supporters are racist.
3. I have no ethical standards.

I don't think the first one will be true, and the third I think mainly applies to her election. But...

You have to wonder about a candidate who thinks she should be the candidate because most of her support comes from uneducated whites (54% I think of her supporters in West Virginia don't have a college degree) with a racist bent. My reaction at her demographic is rather to pray for greater education in states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Kentucky.

Is it a coincidence that many of these are also some of the states with the worst performing school systems in the nation?

And so Hillary says, vote for me because I'm electable and Obama isn't. Isn't this tantamount to saying America is more likely to vote for her because most Americans are uneducated and prejudiced?

Perhaps Obama is not the perfect candidate--but there's something wrong when American turns ignorance and racists into electable virtues. Yeah, that's the candidate for me.

No comments: